What should I plan for before my parent enters a nursing home?

You will want to have lengthy discussions with your parent before he or she moves in to any form of assisted living. Consider the disbursement of any assets and what will happen to your parent’s home without him or her living there. Obtain a durable power of attorney in order to become your parent’s legal agent. An Advanced Medical Directive can also be of use for determining situations in which your parent may be incapable of making healthcare-related decisions, such as resuscitation and the use of a feeding tube.